icy_matrix is a Matrix client written in Rust using the
iced GUI library. It uses
ruma-client to interact with the Matrix network.
It aims to be lightweight with a good out-of-the-box experience. Currently WIP
- If you have the Nix package manager:
- Read the
README.md in the
- If not:
- Current stable Rust and Cargo.
- Make sure you have a working Vulkan setup.
- gcc, python3, pkg-config, cmake; openssl, x11, xcb, freetype, fontconfig, expat, glib, gtk3, cairo, pango, atk, gdk_pixbuf libraries and development files.
- Above list maybe incomplete, please find out what you need by looking at compiler errors.
- Clone the repo, and switch the working directory to it:
darcs clone --lazy https://hub.darcs.net/yusdacra/icy_matrix && cd icy_matrix
- To build and run the project with debug info / checks use
cargo run. Use
cargo run --release for an optimized release build.
- Plain-text message and file sending
- Receiving messages and media, can show thumbnails (does not support location messages)
- Show state changes (kicks / bans, room title changes etc.)
- Change rooms (the ones you joined to)
- Room search (powered by
fuzzy-matcher using the
- Remembers login
Planned features (not ordered)
- Multiline message composer
- Play audio / video and show images in app
- HTML tag rendering of messages (need widget for iced)
- Embedding URLs (pictures / video thumbnails)
- Read markers
- Settings screen
- User list for rooms
- User presence
- Showing invites, leaving rooms
- Public room explorer
- Room settings
- Moderator actions (kick, ban, delete message etc.)
- Encryption (via pantalaimon?)
- Animations for better UX (whenever iced supports this)
- Custom emotes (depends on HTML rendering of messages)
Not planned features